"Hawo's Dinner Party" (Shelbyville, Tennessee)
This documentary focuses on the experiences of several Somali residents in Shelbyville, including Hawo, a refugee and former nurse who now works at a local poultry processing plant, and Mohamed, the local imam.
We also have this DVD available at CSB Clemens Library.
This guide will help you find information about the experiences of Somali refugees and Somali Americans, particularly those in Minnesota. It also includes basic resources on Somali history and culture.
Books: Somalis in Minnesota
- From Somalia to Snow: How Central Minnesota Became Home to Somalis (2017) byCall Number: Clemens F615.S67 I28 2017
- Somalis in Minnesota (2012) byCall Number: Clemens F615.S67 Y87 2012
- New Beginnings: Bilow Cusub (2004)Call Number: Clemens F615.S67 N48 2004Full-text eBook available to CSB/SJU community members here. Written by CSB/SJU students, this book includes pieces about the lives of Somalis who are now living in St. Cloud.
- This Is What America Looks Like: My Journey from Refugee to Congresswoman (2020) byCall Number: CSB Clemens E901.1.O43 A3 2020
Video (Documentaries & News Segments)
- "Postcards: Somali Culture in Willmar," Pioneer Public Television, May 19, 2013.Learn about Somali culture in Willmar, MN. Community member Mohamed Sayid invites us into his daily life and explains his family traditions. We also hear a tune from Somali musician Aar Maanta, and take a trip to the Center Point Mall.
Access the CSB and SJU Libraries' newspaper collections here (includes the St. Cloud Times and StarTribune, along with national and international coverage). For general news and information about Somalia, try Hiiraan Online.
Below are a few newspaper articles highlighting our local Somali community.
- Central Minnesota Community Empowerment Organization (St. Cloud, MN)CMCEO facilitates discussion of community issues and provides crucial services for immigrants and refugees to gain the skills and education they need in order to succeed. Projects include Each One Reach One mentoring project and Get To Work job placement project. (Links to Facebook Group for CMCEO)
- Confederation of Somali Community in Minnesota (CSCM)A mutual assistance organization offering services to Somali refugees and families in Minnesota.
- Arrive MinistriesArrive Ministries is a Christian non-profit organization dedicated to the cause of the refugee and immigrant that empowers local churches to welcome and serve displaced refugees who resettle in Minnesota.
- Somali Action Alliance of MinnesotaA Minneapolis-based organization that focuses on public activism to improve the lives of Somalis.
- Dar Al-Hijrah Islamic CenterThis religious, educational, social, and charitable organization serves the Muslim community in Minnesota.